Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

We just got back from a morning awards assembly in which Cole earned the Good Student Award for being an exemplary student in his class (he was one of two chosen from his class). But that's not the part I am most proud of. After the assembly, many parents were reviewing the childrens writing journals that were on display. Cole's journal was a large book filled with open ended statements like "My favorite subject is...(reading)". "My favorite thing to eat is...(spaghetti)", "My favorite hobby is...(maps)" and so on. Well on the page titled "What I want to be when I grow up," Cole's answer was a missionary. I realize he is young and we will surely teach him that God can use him as a missionary in many fields, careers and places. But for now, it is so exciting for us to see that desire in his heart and to watch him grow as he shares his faith at school.

And on a totally lighter side, last week I had to pick up Cole early from school and I was running a few minutes behind. When I picked him up he questioned, "I thought you were coming around 2:15." (It was a few minutes past but school was in session so he was still in his class) Jokingly, I responded "Someday, kiddo, you're going to be carting around toddlers and realize it's a lot harder to be on time than it looks." His immediate response was "But Mom, I'll be the Dad, I'll be at work!" Hmmm......

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom and Jenny,

I just bumped into your blog after visiting Kim N. I'm glad to see you all doing so well and what beautiful children. Please feel free to visit my blog at http://gadalkin.blogspot.com/

I'm not married and living in England. God has been so good.

Anonymous said...

Correction:
I meant to say, I am married.

Julia said...

Jenny;

So glad you took the plunge and entered the blog-world. :)
I saw that you will be reading The Story of the World this summer to the kiddos. You may already know this, but it is also available on CD. We have book one on CD and it is so enjoyable (read by Jim Wiess). The boys played with playdough and listened for quite a while today. Of course, nothing is quite as nice as Mommy reading.

laura k said...

So sweet...I sure do miss seeing Cole!

Unknown said...

NOW, I can comment. I love this, Jen...such a great way to keep in touch! I really like blogger better but wasn't sure I could figure it out.

David was really disappointed that he had to teach tonight and was unable to meet with Tom.

The Dickinsons said...

Jenny, I'm so glad you joined we bloggers! It's been so fun staying in contact with friends and getting acquainted with others. Y'all's kids are cute! Thanks for the recipe, it looks like one I'd like to try...once we get a grill. (When you MOVE all you own to a far-away country...in just 12 suitcases, there are A LOT of other things one must buy before they get a grill. =) Also, that is sweet that your boy said he wants to be a missionary. You can tell him, from one that is a missionary...that it's WONDERFUL serving God in another country. =)
God bless y'all. Thanks again for that catechism for kids that you gave us from Dr. Matt Friedeman, we appreciate having it.
Take care, Heather in Colombia S.A.

Kimberly said...

Look at you..2 posts already! So proud of Cole...most of all, for his tender heart. Love hearing your stories.

Tara said...

Yeah, Jenny!

You did it! I'm looking forward to all the great 'chats' we'll have.
Blessings,
Tara

Mary Ellen said...

That is so sweet about the missionary thing! Congratulations to Cole on getting the award, while academic awards are great I'd much rather my kids get them for character. The last part was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Jenny! It is lovely to catch up with you via your blog. Your children are beautiful, and it is wonderful to know that they are being trained to love and want to serve Jesus. Many blessings as you live the journey!