Thursday, May 31, 2007

Every Minute

Wow, the blog thing has been exciting. I'm definitely recommending it (as some of you can attest I've been talking about it a bit much). Initially I just enjoyed reading, but taking the plunge into joining the community has been really neat. I think if it's interesting enough to you to read, it would be even more interesting if you join the exchange. So, that's my plug for the day...

Thanks to all of you who have commented...it's been so fun to reconnect and you've all said way too many "ingratiatingly" sweet things. But each and every comment has made my day and as I've been home alone this week it was a special reward to find your kind words.

Friendships and relationships are such a joy to me in life. They are so fragile in the sense we never know when life will change and move (or take ) someone dear away from us. The combination of reconnecting a bit with old friends via this blog and preparing to move away close friends here has left me wanting to say thank you to my friends and family--you weave the fabric of our family's lives into a very rich pattern. I'm not a poet but I'm going to quote the lyrics of one of my favorite singers (2nd plug of the day) Sara Groves.

I am long on staying
I am slow to leave
Especially when it comes to you my friend
You have taught me to slow down
And to prop up my feet
It's the fine art of being who I am

And I can't figure out
Why you want me around
I'm not the smartest person I have ever met
But somehow that doesn't matter
No it never really mattered to you at all

And at the risk of wearing out my welcome
At the risk of self-discovery
I'll take every moment
And every minute that you'll give me

And I can think of time when families all lived together
Four generations in one house
And the table was full of good food
And friends and neighbors

And I wish all the people I love the most
Could gather in one place
And know each other and love each other well
And I wish we could all go camping
And lay beneath the stars
And have nothing to do and stories to tell

We'd sit around the campfire
And we'd make each other laugh remembering when
You're the first one I'm inviting
Always know that you're invited my friend

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Another Sara Groves fan! Loved the lyrics. One of my favorites is "Rain". She has a beautiful way of putting deep but simple thoughts to music, and she has really blessed me on occasion. Ditto's on your thoughts about friendship and blogging. It's nice to reconnect.

Anonymous said...

I really like Sara Groves too and how well those lyrics seem to express the thoughts of your blog!
Amy B

Kimberly said...

These lyrics brought tears to my eyes..i'll "take every moment" too! so grateful for your friendship (and a few others) that let me be "Who I am"..Glad you shared this (my Groves collection isn't as extensive as yours:)Love Ya!

Mary Ellen said...

Hey Jenny - even though you and I have kept in touch down through the years with 'snail mail' and then email it's great to see you blogging!

laura k said...

I remember hearing this song at Hearts with you last year...I always think of you when I hear it and it always brings me a wave of wonderful memories of your days in Diamond Springs. Love & Hugs ~Laura

Marty said...

Jenny,

I am so happy to see you in the blog world!!! Thank you so much for your post...I do so remember those years ago pinning over our men one country over!!! That was such a great trip for me...different..but great!

Your children are beautiful....and look at you just having a baby!!! FANTASTIC...you look great!

Check out my blog...Susan finnally had baby Colton Ross!!!

Anonymous said...

Jenny ~

Your blog is already inspiring! Thanks for deciding to do it...you'll have to let me know how time intensive it is!

I love the Sara Groves song! It so reminds me of going to Montana as we listen to it on every trip (and what a great place Montana is to just sit back and cherish the moments!). Got your call today....so glad you enjoyed the pictures. Jayce had a great birthday and it was made ever so special with your call and song. He really wants to call josiah back so I need to take the time to do that.
It's always fun to hear from you; keep up the great work, sis!
Love you all,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Jen~
What awesome lyrics! Maybe we can go camping together this summer again! We love you all! Thanks for the blog! I am considering the "Blogging" thing :) Please let me know how difficult it is.
Love,
Debo