Monday, August 6, 2007

courage defined and a prayer request

My good friend Jenny attends our same church and found out a few weeks ago that she has breast cancer. Jenny has a loving husband and a little girl who is just a little over a year old that are all suffering the consequences of this diagnosis. She is absolutely AMAZING in the way she is accepting this news, fighting this disease, and seeking God's glory even in this terrible news. She underwent a radical double mastectomy but found out last week the cancer has spread to her bones. We as a church family prayed with Jenny Sunday that God would heal her of this cancer. Would you please join me in praying for her regularly in your prayer time?

Jenny shared with me this quote that I have found to be incredibly moving.

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” Nelson Mandela

11 comments:

JenLo said...

That poor family! I'll remember her in my prayers. I love that quote on courage. I tell that to my son all the time (he is very cautious all the time). I tell him that bravery isn't not being afraid, it's doing what you need to do even when you are afraid.

SheilaDy said...

I will be praying for your friend, Jenny.
I know from experience, that a positive outlook on her situation, will go so far in her recovery, treatment and healing.
We have had so much cancer in our family in the last 10 years, and one thing that has proven true every time, is that God is so much bigger than cancer! We have some who have gone to their "ultimate healing", and some who have seen their healing here on earth. But, in each situation, God has been faithful and abundantly real!

I will pray also that God will fill you and Tom with wisdom and strength, as you walk through this with them.

Much love-
Sheila

Vonnie said...

I am praying for your friend, Jenny.

julie f said...

I haven't been able to get this lady off of my mind since you shared it with me on the phone yesterday. I am lifting her and her little family to our Father thoughout the day.

It sounds like you had a fun time in Texas. Love the picture of all three of you. Can't wait to see you all in just one week!!!

Love ya!

Mary Ellen said...

Oh Jenny, that would be very difficult to watch another young Mother go through and then to get a second bad diagnosis on top of it would be even worse! I will definitely be praying for your friend and her family.

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying. I know it makes a difference!

So great to see that you got to spend some time with Beth. I especially loved the mental imagery of you all taking the picture of yourselves. I can empathize. And you're right, why do we have to do it ourselves?

cheriepasbjerg said...

One of my worst fears. I was just talking with Ryan last night about this. In your 30's is likely when things go wrong--what a terrible time for that to happen. (not that anytime is good) When your children are young and growing. Then the threats come back in your 60's. I think the threat of not watching my children grow and leaving my husband alone is the worst. Thank you for your kind words about my cousin and I will keep your friend in my prayers.

Tara said...

I also pledge my earnest prayers for the healing of your friend. My all our faith rise to Heaven that it would be so!

The Mandela quote is a favorite of mine.

Marty said...

My prayer journal has a new entry...Jenny... I love to write how God answers so keep us updated. May God bless you as you help this dear friend!

kayla said...

We will be praying for your friend.

Making Memories 1999 said...

Jenny, I too, will be remembering your friend to our Father. So glad HE CARES!! Thanks for sharing the request!