Thursday, October 11, 2007

Alaska or bust





It is a good, good day. The cold snap finally hit (now we are 40-50's which was a pretty good snap from 90's over the weekend), but more importantly Dad is in the house...WOOHOO! Tom had the great privilege of spending a few days in Alaska with one of his best friends, Matt. You can ask them for details about the tent that collapsed the first night out, the lean-to they built to survive the next week, the elk Matt got, the bear that came into their campsite, and the beautiful scenery they experienced. I, for one, was a little scared by some of those details and don't want to know more than I have to at this point. I'm just really, really thankful he's home safe, they had a good trip and they'll have years to retell it to me.

P.S. Know that my hesitation in flushing out the details is inversely proportional to the boys interest...Dad has gone to the superhero status (then again, I think he was already there and then some in their minds). Maddie only cared that Dad properly complimented her new shoes ("they're pink") and Isaac, of course, just keeps on saying "Da" (but not "Ma"...who's been in the trenches with you here, my boy?!!)!

11 comments:

Vonnie said...

Glad he had a good time... he'll have to get on my blog and read about Andrew's hunt and see the pictures!! You know the only reason your little one says "Da" first is just because it's easier... absolutely has nothing to do with who it the favorite one. :)

Unknown said...

Alaska has beauty that is second to none, doesn't it? I'm glad Tom is back safely and that you survived sanely...

Kimberly said...

I'm w/you on not hearing too many details about a bear!!! but the pics. are beautiful & certainly looks like a good time was had...glad he's home safely and all is well in your place. You are a good woman!! Such great descriptions of the kids' rxns.!!! And also a great quote from one of my favorites (Nouwen)..why do we get so hung up on "success" anyway...maybe because fruitfulness is the harder goal?

Matt, Katie and Micah Riley said...

Hey Jenny,

Just wanted to let you know that Micah has refused to say Ma as well. But Da Da - that is all we here! Don't worry some day they will know the sacrifices that we made for them mainly because we will tell them over and over and over again! Love looking at your pics and reading your insights. See you in December!

jenny said...

Actually, I think it's very cute that Isaac is so into "Da"...

Vonnie~Tom did read up on Andrew's hunt and from what I hear I definitely don't want to go read that one!

Amy~seeing the pictures made me very "homesick" for Alaska, especially the friends I left...it is SO the "last frontier."

Kimber~I am so glad not just to have Tom home safely but the laptop sure is handy too! :-)

Katie~I am SO, SO excited to see you all again. Please give us a heads up before you are coming so we can block out those dates...and your always welcome to stay here if you need a place! We could easily rearrange to accomodate you all.

Tara said...

I enjoyed the pics so much! Even enjoyed seeing Matt...looks like he was saying somethin' akin to "shepoo" in that pic! HA!

I don't know how much stock you put in old wives' tales...but apparently it's so rare for a baby to say "ma" first, that the old tale says if they do, there's one more baby in your future. YIKES! Reagan is the only one of mine to ever say "ma" first. Says it all the time....but it would take a near miracle of modern science for that tale to come true! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics! I also enjoyed your descriptions of the kids reactions. Any time you can use "inversely proportional" in a sentence, I call it a good day. :) Glad that all is well.

shauna said...

I am glad Tom made it home safe. I just showed this post to John and he was saying how he would love to go back to Alaska - and how he would love to visit with Tom!

I love the fall pictures of your kids!

Anonymous said...

Jen and Tom~
Comment from Rod~ "Sure is amazing how one person can ruin a good picture of some beautiful mountains" :0) ha! This can only come from a "bro" :) We love you all! Have a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Deb

Phil, Gretch, and Finn said...

Nice tent!! I head it worked awesome:)

Marty said...

I'm a little behind on blogging and responding to this post... Great to hear that Tom's trip went well! It is great to see a pic of Matt....like Tara, I think I can hear Matt's comment!! Thanks for sharing!