Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Meet Me in St. Louis


It was a family road trip last weekend to southern Illinois to visit with our family friends--who had moved away earlier this summer (and I blogged about). The kids (and adults) picked up right where their friendships had left off. We survived 12 under one roof with friendship still in tact (I think anyways!) and had a lot of new fun memories to add to our growing collection.


We went to the arch (and I found out it was only completed in 1965--thought it was much older for some reason). It is so tall it is really quite difficult to take a picture of from the actual national park area, you just can't fit it all in. We were unable to go all the way to the top due to the fact it was a glorious fall day and half of St. Louis had the same idea as us.



Next, we visited the St. Louis zoo--a freebie--and so, so nice!







Below is my favorite picture from this weekend...Maddie playing "mommy and daddy" with her long lost prince. He is so patient and loving with her...all through the zoo he would put his hand on the small of her back and bend his head low to ask her questions...or usually just listen to her little musings. She talked and talked...a random stranger stopped to point out how cute it was that she was talking 90 mph while he just listened attentively...I immediately replied "he's the perfect male--great listening skills!" The stranger thought for a moment, then responded..."good point!"
Below is a picture of me with "Jillian" (her blogosphere name) I am incredibly thankful for this friendship. Thanks so much, guys, for a great weekend. Happy, happy b-day to you!!!!



We so enjoyed worshiping together at Greenville Free Methodist Church. Pastor Carl, from our church here, is now the pastor of discipleship and evangelism at this church. It was great to see him and his family. They graciously had us over for lunch even though their youngest was quite sick (a lesson in hospitality). We miss them a lot. Doug Newton's (senior pastor) message was very provocative and Tom and I enjoyed being able to discuss it on the drive home. He is casting a vision to his church to deal with local poverty by what he terms "substitutionary debt repayment." Meaning, you pay someone else's debt (consumer debts only) for 2 years with their promise to do the same thing for another family as a minimum. A certain percentage of those payments goes to already existing charities who are fighting poverty. The point is, too many Americans (yes Christian ones, too) can't give more, because their money is tied up in consumer debt. Pretty radical thinking, eh? It was really good for us, personally, to see the church taking up arms to fight social injustice...where have the Wesleyans and others from the holiness traditions gone when in the past this was one of our defining mandates? As Pastor Newton said, if you read Scripture in regards to feeding the poor it is deeply convicting...he doesn't have to say anything to exegete these passages...the Word stands alone...loudly.

My biggest critique is that this plan would only deal with local poverty and nothing on a global basis...I am assuming that this plan for debt repayment is to be in addition to your already planned mission giving, and help to foreign aid. It seems to me that is where the most help is needed. Especially after my eyes have been opened to the tragedy that is ongoing in Darfur.

Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Fun pics...(you look great)..look like fun friends! and thanks for providing that link...I am interested from what you have shared and plan to learn more on this issue. What I know is that we can't substitute "the American dream" for Biblical living...often the two are far different. Trust you're feeling better...love ya!

Jillian said...

Love the latest post (slightly biased here)Can I just copy and paste it onto my blog? LOL!!
Seriously, thank you so much for coming down. We had a wonderful time with your family. The boys can't stop talking about it. The only downside is that we can't see you any time we want. Benny woke up Mon. morning and asked if we could go to your house. :( It was so great to make more memories. We'll travel to your place next! Love you! Hope you feel better today.
jill

Tara said...

I enjoyed your post, too, Jenny! Though I don't know your friends, I DO know the priceless feeling of just "being" with ones you hold dear.
Great commentary on the church service you visited as well. My first thought, is that any time you can leave a service challenged enough to be in discussion for a period of time...it is a GOOD thing. I love church when my MIND can be involved as well as my heart. As to the topic, I find it remarkably refreshing that a congregation is willing to deal with their local poverty issues. As dire as the global situation is, I personally find it inexcusable to seek to "fix" things abroad and leave the hurting down the road from us unattended. As Kayla pointed out recently, the commission is still to "Jerusalem (FIRST), THEN to Judea, Samaria, and uttermost parts." Many churches can get caught in the trap of foreign missions while snubbing their noses at their own local communities. I don't think this is Christ's intent.
AH, but you have touched a hot button in me! Derek and I have been addressing this very thing recently. He blogged on it, if you're interested to read. His blog address is www.derekhickman.blogspot.com

Thanks for stirring up our minds!

Vonnie said...

Wow... deep thoughts for one not used to thinking quite so deeply. I'm not sure we are required, besides the great Commission, to give foreign "aid", we are required to take care of the fatherless and widows. Really good thoughts though. I will definitely have to think harder on this. :)

Unknown said...

Jen,
First I agree with Kimberly that you look great and so therefore heartily disagree with what you said on the phone yesterday.

I do have some thoughts about the church service --some neat concepts, I'll agree, but I have written and erased and written and erased and just can't seem to communicate effectively without seeming to be critical which I am NOT!

Matt, Katie and Micah Riley said...

Thanks for the B-day wishes. Love you blog and looking forward to seeing you again. Say hi to Tom and all the kids.