Thursday, December 13, 2007

Homemade Nativity Ornament


One thing I have really enjoyed about this fall is teaching in the childrens ministries at our church. It has truly been a privilege to teach kids on Wednesday nights and alternating Sunday mornings. Especially exciting has been the chance to bring kids into our church that have never been to church...anywhere, ever. It is an awesome privilege to be the first person to facilitate the gospel to another. What good news we have, how much better it is when given away.

This ornament is a favorite my boys made a few years ago. This past week we made it at church, both in Sunday School and Wed. night classes. The kids all loved it. It was like they were making their very own nativity. They can hang it on the tree or keep it in their bedroom. The only downside was it is really hard to use a gluegun with a lot of small kids. So if you ever do it with a larger class, get several adults to help you. To construct it you need:

1.) mini grapevine wreath (I found 6/$1 at Hobby Lobby)

2.) natural colored moss/hay

3.) ecru felt cut into ~3" squares

4.) wire

5.) wooden golden stars (I painted plain wooden stars using gold spray paint, $1 at Walmart)

6.) wooden round balls (I used 1/2")

7.) permanent red and black marker to draw a face

I used a gluegun to attach the head to the felt, then wrapped it up in a "swaddling" fashion. I also used a gluegun to attach the hay to the wreath. Affix the wire to the star just by wrapping it around the points, wrap the wire around a marker to curl it, then attach to the wreath. You can also hotglue a ribbon onto the sides to make an ornament that easily hangs on the tree.

1 comment:

Kareng said...

Thanks for sharing this idea! I am going to try this for gifts for the 25 preschoolers in my Sunday School class. I think we'll let them make something easier and just use this as a gift. I like it!