Saturday, December 29, 2007

Things I have learned from Christmas season 2007

1. Fevers come and go...just when you think they've broke, and it's been close to 24 hours...then they come back with a vengeance higher than ever.

2. Stomach sickness is even less fun when away from home.

3. Noses can run incessantly...multiplied times three children and you go through a LOT of tissue.

4. Sickness makes you miss the crazy things your toddler normally does...Isaac hasn't climbed on one table or even chair since being sick...but I sure wished he would at times. I'll trade the snuggly baby for a healthy one any day.

5. Josiah has no interest in cartoon networks...he is an Animal Planet or Discovery Channel only consumer (and thank goodness for their availability in the midst of our plagues).

6. The mystery of viruses...we all went through one the week before we left...all got better....Josiah gets another one, Isaac soon to follow....Cole and Maddie still seem relatively healthy.

7. Having a nurse in the family is SO nice when the flu bug comes and bites you.

8. Sleep is very underated.

9. Motrin rocks!

10. Kindness in the midst of illness is a soothing balm.

Well, the short of it is...we thought we were healthy and left for PA to spend Christmas with both sides of the family. We stopped at Mom's first (where Josiah became sick again but seemed to come around within 2 days); then it was on to Krystal's where we had a great Christmas celebration followed by a night of flaming fevers back with a vengeance. In the hopes of quarantining the kids from all the other cousins, I drove the sick ones back to my Mom's leaving Tom and Cole to spend the remainder of the week with the cousins, aunts, uncles, Nana and Gramps (who were all meeting in PA this year). As I write this I am hoping to be reunited with them all tomorrow (Sunday) morning for the twins dedication.

In spite of all of this we have had a really blessed Christmas season. The one song that has reallly struck me this season as ringing very false is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Forgive me if that is your favorite...but the line "from now on our troubles will be out of sight" is just so far from truth to the people I know that are fighting valiant fights for health or justice. Christ in the flesh does not make our troubles disappear...it does mean He is with us in the midst of them. That had been my one epiphany moment of the season and it ministered to me while I was on my knees cleaning up after one bout of illness. Christ is with us...His presence does not guarantee or promise "merry" days but He does give us quiet joy in the times of question and uncertainty. I am so inspired by my friends who are fighting cancer and their quiet hope and trust in the Lord. I want to live with that kind of Christ in me hope...that no matter what tomorrow holds...to know that I am held by the almighty everlasting omnipotent hands of the incarnate One.

3 comments:

SheilaDy said...

Dear Jenny,
I am so sorry that you have all been so sick! We have had a few Christmas's like that, and I can sympathize!
I will pray that your family gets well soon.
Blessings & prayers-
Sheila

Kimberly said...

Oh Jen....sooo sorry, but so glad you were able to find a supportive "convalescent home" for these wee ones!!:) Trust your weekend finishes up on a healthy note!!

So good to hear from ya in this Christmas week (been a crazy one here)...and your Mom's kind words give sweet strength.

You are right on with your "sometimes less than merry" perspective...but also glad that things CAN always be BRIGHT nevertheless..also made so aware this Christmas that ONLY Immanuel's presence gives us a center of peace and hope whatever else is happening around us! Love You!

kayla said...

What a horrible time for sicknes to strike. Hope you are all on the mend.
How wonderful it would be if "our troubles will be out of sight" but it is even more wonderful to have "Him" with us through them. Thanks for sharing.