Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fun...fun...fun!

Well last week started off so fun with Jamey and Cara coming to visit, but we had a few unexpected fun summer activities evolve throughout the rest of the week. In the middle of the week we visited our church's (Free Methodist) family camp in northern Wisconsin. We were so inspired to visit with the speaker, Matt Friedeman, and his family. Matt was a professor of Tom's at Wesley Biblical Seminary. They now have six children (much bigger than when we had last seen them) who they homeschool. In addition to teaching, Matt has planted a church, runs a radio talk show host, a weekly prison ministry and speaks at churches, conferences and camp meetings. He and Mary cohost a family seminar that deals with Family Discipleship and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to book them for your church! They have written a children's catechism from a Wesleyan perspective entitled Hidden in the Heart. They graciously gave us a stack as they know we use it and love to give it away to our friends and family. If you want a copy just let me know. It was so exciting to see their firstborn anxious to head off to college in the fall with dreams of becoming a missionary or church planter. It is really inspiring to think that God allows us the privilege of participating with Him in this wonderful world of parenting.


On Thursday Cole graduated a level in swimming...go Cole! These lessons were through our public school system and only allowed parents to come in on the first and last days of class. He was so cute to watch on the last day as he would pull out all his tricks and new learned strokes and then immediately look up in the bleachers to see if we were watching. He is gaining a lot of confidence in the water and having a LOT of fun doing it. Cole is turned and looking towards the camera in the picture below.



Then Friday we headed to Great America/Six Flags via the graciousness of friends who helped us get free tickets for all the kiddos and tickets for the adults at a fraction of the cost--I mean an unbelievable deal. We had 7 kids between our two families, the oldest being our Cole--and they all did great! It was such a fun day. Dawn (the other mom) and I scared ourselves silly riding a rollercoaster called V2 that has you going 65-75 mph while suspended from the rail, feet dangling. When we got off she told me, "all I could think was that God has blessed us with all these great kids and if I die doing this that would be such a waste!" That's how scared we were--why is it fun to be that scared??!!! Both boys rode roller coasters. Cole loves them and is so funny--he rides with all his muscles clenched but immediately when it stops, wants to go again and protests loudly that he was never scared; Josiah rode and never complained but didn't want to repeat the experience either. The highlight of our day was watching Josiah and Caitlyn pared together to ride the old cars. It just worked out that those two were in line together and so rode together--but upon entering the car Josiah assumed the wheel position and Caitlyn pressed the gas pedal (as only her leg was long eough). Well, they stalled and bumped (usually beside signs posted NO BUMPING or right in front of one of the thankfully patient attendants) into the next car the entire way around the track--hilarious. Maddie loved the teacups--why? because they were teacups and, of course, pink!


Our friends: Caitlyn (in Cole's K class last year), Dawn (holding Ryan), Sean (Dad) and Kyle



Saturday through Monday we were delighted to have Jim B (old friend from HSBC) spend the weekend with us. He was flying a plane from the company he works for up to an air show in Wisconsin. He graciously gave our boys their first small aircraft flight. I was glad I was able to go up as well. That is quite the different experience from commercial flight. You literally feel like you are in a bubble up in the air--not much separating you from the space outside. Jim has really stuck with his dream of flying that we've known he had way back when we first met him as a young highschooler. We are so proud of him and his dreams!




11 comments:

Cara said...

Jenny,

I'm glad that you guys had such a fun week. And how great to see the Friedemans. (sp?) Did I tell you that Matt is coming to speak at our church in September? I sure wish that all of them could come, but I'm sure that won't work out. By the way, how do you get your pictures lined up so nice within your blog? I've had trouble getting the pictures and the text to work together.

Mary Ellen said...

Really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the pictures! Looks like you are making great memories with your kids and how much better is it for the parents when making those memories involve words like "free" or "really cheap" - right!?!? "-) You guys have such a beautiful family and I love seeing parents taking the time out of the busyness of life to really enjoy their family like you guys do.

Marty said...

Jenny,

So glad to hear about your fun week! How fun to get to go flying with Jimmy! Brings back lots of memories seeing him and Tom together. I have a similar picture of them from Larry's TLC team...I think they are even standing the exact same way! Some things never change over time!! Can you send me some of the info you were refering to in your blog! We would love to have it..and any info re your friends ministry! Thanks!

Tara said...

What a great post! I enjoyed all the "newsy" stuff! So neat that ya'll got to be with Jimmy B. What a treat for your kids to connect with someone from your past...and get a flight out of the deal! You couldn't ask for more than that!

I am VERY interested in seeing the catechism for Wesleyans. I love stuff like that. When I was growing up at HSBA, you couldn't graduate 8th grade until you could recite the first 100 basic catechism. Started learning it in Kindergarten and added to it each year. I don't know if they still do that there or not. I've always looked back on that and thought it was a great thing; good way to instill basic doctrines through repetition and recitation. So I'd love to see what ya got! You can email me with info if necessary.

Tara said...

p.s. I am SOOOOO sorry that you have to highlight to read my blogs. If I thought there was something I could do to fix it, I would! But I don't think it's my computer, since I've been using a loaner for a couple of days and you're still having the same trouble. It is sure weird, though. I'm sorry!

Kimberly said...

I loved the pics...i really did:)!!! And also love all the little details on your kids..makes me "know" them better. I hate how shallow this sounds...but you look GREAT..so skinny!
I think that catechism is so good!! and so cool that your children were able to meet the Friedmans. Love Ya!

w2wkb said...

Would love to see the Catechism. I've been hoping to find a good one for our kids. You should raffle them! :-)) Oh, wait! do we Wesleyan's allow that?

BTW, Tammy and I have been enjoying some nice visiting with Marilyn Addison this past week. She is in town visiting Randy and Kathy, our new pastor.

cheriepasbjerg said...

Jen,
Love this blog the pictures are great and you look incredible!!! Isn't it great to get together with old friends? I think there is no greater joy than to see the smiles and hear the laughter of your children--what I LIVE for!!!
oxxoxo Cherie

Anonymous said...

Jenny~
What a fun and busy week! I am looking forward to spending some time you guys on our camping trip! We love you all!
Deb

Vonnie said...

What a blast you guys had!! I'd love to see the catechism. E-mail me for my address. I'll pay postage, of course. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Jenny!!

HI!!! I'm so happy I stumbled across your blog!!!! I think I linked to it from Sonja's blog maybe? Anyways.... hi from a fellow Indiana church girl!!! You can find me at www.keepvillechurch.com

Julie Wallace Gurnee