Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ms. Kimmycakes is a comin' to town...

Reading princess stories (while wearing princess jammies)! Our "guest" room is actually Maddie and Isaac's bedroom. Normally we move those two out when company comes over. However, Maddie was thrilled beyond words to get to stay in her room and have "sleepovers with Ms. Kimmycakes." She is still telling us now that she is "afraid to sleep in her room without Ms. Kimmycakes." Hmmmm.... Does the art of manipulation work on you, Kimber?



A lovely pic of my dear friend in front of a art exhibit made out of ice.













Here, Kim and I are standing in Millenium Park in front of the outdoor ice skating rink (Chicago's equivalent to Rockefeller Center in New York.)

Standing on the steps of the Art Institute of Chicago. They have been offering free admission during the month of February. We took advantage of this offer to enjoy our first visit there. Unfortunately getting delayed in traffic shortened our visit, but I was very thankful we got in after making that long drive. I was so moved to see White Crucifixion by Marc Chagall. One of the books our book club had read earlier this year, My Name is Asher Lev, has a similar work that it's fictitious character creates.














A treat to have tea with new and old friends becoming acquainted










My favorite picture from the weekend. Kimber is such an incredible friend and person. She was SO incredible with our kids, and they loved her back so easily. It was so moving for me to see Kim talk with my friend about caring for her mom. Kim has made very brave and selfless decisions that have allowed her to serve her family's needs so faithfully. When I am around her I am inspired to be more thoughtful, more selfless, more like Christ.


One of the highlights of our weekend was getting to watch the middle portion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice together on Sunday evening. Tom was very willing to give up his seat on the couch...but nonetheless enjoyed throwing smoldering looks and doing his best Mr. Darcy impersonation--a highly sarcastic one (but I might add he IS the real thing for anyone wondering). Seems only fitting to end this post with a little Austen a la Kimber.


"My idea of good company is the company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company."

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart."

7 comments:

SheilaDy said...

Jenny,
I so enjoyed reading your blog, and that tea shop looks very familiar!
I just finished a book, where the setting of the story was a tea shop. I imagined it to be just like "Infini-Tea".
How nice that you could spend time with a friend!

Blessings,
Sheila

Susanna said...

Jenny,
I really enjoyed "living" your time with Kimberly a bit. Also, your quote from Father Tim really amused me!! I love that--I have the CDs of AT HOME IN MITFORD. I need to listen to those again/read more of her books!! Too bad you don't live near me; I would love to run with you. I run several times a week with our dog, and occasionally with Anson in the jogging stroller (which I find less enjoyable just because I have to push it.) Keep in touch!

Vonnie said...

So nice you could have a friend visit with you. We know Kim from a Looooooooong time ago when my in-laws pastored them in Louisiana. Good to see her again and yes, she has made some very selfless decisions so that she can care for her mom. I am always amazed at that when I hear about what she is doing.

Kimberly said...

Jenny, you are too kind...but it was oh so refreshing to be with ya'll and to receive such sweet lovin from your kiddos...yes, manipulation works on me!!:) And I did share with my parents (when tuning in to the P&P finale) that Tom does a mean imitation of Mr. Darcy!:)

I love your pics and it was such a blessing to be together! I miss ya'll! (esp. my sleepover buddy!:)

Kimberly said...

PS...I love the quotes...and I love Maddie in that tearoom pic.!:)

Kimberly said...

Just one more!..after reading the jogging quote..I applaud you..but also say (after being with you) don't worry too much...you look beautiful!, and even more..manage all your many tasks with a beautiful spirit that so characterizes your family! but, jog away, my friend!

cheriepasbjerg said...

How awesome you guys got together, I love the art museum in Chicago, and Chagall is one of my favorites. We saw several of his works in the Luvre (did I spell that right?)in Paris a few years ago. I am jealous you two got to see each other!