Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy B-day Jules!!

My sister-in-law, Julie, was my friend long before I ever thought her brother would look my way with any interest in his heart. It has been so fun to experience all four of my pregnancies within relative proximity of hers. The picture above was taken last summer in the mountains of Montana with our latest two beautiful babes!

One of my fondest memories of Julie (and I have many, many) is the night we went on a double date....to the men we would both one day marry. Robb and Jules were just getting back together and it was my first official date with Tom. The guys had really gone all out and planned a boat trip from the Bible college campus we attended in Florida to the restaurant we would eat at where we would dine outside and watch an electrical boat parade. Well, the plans went just a wee bit awry when Julie and I BOTH fell getting into the boat. We both scraped our legs up pretty bad on the cement dock....but acted like we were fine because we didn't want to go back. If memory serves me correctly Julie fell first....but I went down right after her with a loud exclaimed "ouch!"....to which she later told me she was so relieved to hear because she was hurting so bad but not wanting to look lame....I sorta covered the "lame" part for her! To make a long story short...the boat had problems, we had to turn around and go back, ended up going to a different restaurant after all...but the evening ended with a balmy walk along the intercoastals of Palm Beach (doing one of my still favorite things to do with my now husband) just talking about everything and anything.

Over 15 years later, we still have the scars to remind us of that crazy yet beautiful night. We now have 10 children added to our collective families, and the memories just keep growing with our expanding families.

Now it's your turn: I thought that some of you who went to school with Julie might enjoy sharing your favorite memory of Julie....or better yet, dig out the old pictures!

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

So sweet for your sweet sil!!

Julie and I had many "blond" moments together...sad, since we're both brunettes!:) One was trying to drive over a parking place divider thingie in the Winn-Dixie lot. It's been way too long since I've seen her!

Tara said...

I enjoyed this memory lane post so MUCH! And I could just picture ya'll on that date...so funny. And so cool to remember when you all were "young puppy lovers", too!

I thought of a couple things right off: 1)I bought the most smashing dress off of Julie (I'd prefer NOT to remember the itty bitty size it was *ugh*) that was one of my favorite date night dresses...my man liked it! :)
2) When Julie was traveling with the HSBC quartet, they had a stop over near where my parents were pastoring. I was there for the summer, and requested Julie to stay w/us. We were up to the wee hours just enjoying conversation w/a familiar face.

I think it's very amusing Kimberly refers to them both as "blondes"!! LOL!
Happy Birthday, Julie!

julie f said...

Ahhh...this is so very sweet! I feel honored and blessed to know you, Jen, and to have you in our family is a very special blessing!! I have great memories with you, as well, and hope to make many more! It will be fun to be grandmas and old ladies together!

Tara, I don't even know if you will see this. I am so glad you remember that summer when I stayed with you in Indiana. That was a very refreshing time for me, and you and your parents' hospitality made me feel like I was really "home." That is one of my favorite memories with you.

Jen, I hope to talk with you soon! Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever heard this story, but I loved it! Found you through Tara's site and will enjoy stopping by again later.

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute and a hilarious story! I especially remember fun times with Julie on choir tour our Freshman year. I remember laughing a lot!

Also, thanks for your previous post about Augustine's Confessions. I really enjoyed your take on things, and I think you (and your group) are right on with your conclusions. I was consistently amazed with his knowledge of scripture and his almost embarrasing transparency. However, I frequently saw my own struggles in his life as well. I didn't get it quite finished, but I'm definitely glad I made it as far as I did. :) Blessings!!

Anonymous said...

What a great story! I remember Julie as being one of the sweetest girls in the HSBC dorm. She was always kind and bubbly and was just as beautiful inside as she was outside. Julie, I hope you have/had a very happy birthday!

Hi Jenny, how fun it's been to find your site through Julie's and catch up with you too!

Michelle Acre said...

Julie, Julie, Julie, - Happy Birthday!!!!!! You are such a sweet girl (At least that is how you were in college:) - And you always laughed at my jokes..Keep up the great work and may you have many, many more Birthdays. I would Love to get together sometime and catch up!!!!!!

cheriepasbjerg said...

I have lots of memories of Jules,
She was ALWAYS sweet and smiling. I remember her playing the piano in the dorm on a Saturday morning and all of us sitting around singing in our PJs. The choir tour our freshman year was too much fun and Julie was always laughing. (especially at Rob) Sitting in her room at night til the wee hours of the morning talking. I think Cara passed out in Julie's room--cause that is where we congergated, while we were all discussing "a girl" thing and Cara was the first one of us to try it and then got all woozy and passed out just talking about it. Julie--your the best and hope that baby is healthy and happy and you are feeling good.