Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer Reading Recommendations...please share back yours!


Last night, we finally got to read a book we have been trying to check out from the library for a couple of weeks...the original Fancy Nancy book. We've read three others that Maddie has enjoyed altogether but I must say the original is the best in the series. The last page is one of those classic children's book endings. Tom was working on the computer while I was reading it to Maddie, and he even said "awwwwww" aloud when I came to the ending. They're not deep books, just really sweet...especially if you happen to have someone "fancy" under your roof (I identify on a deep level with the mom & family in these books who are definitely "not fancy"). Thanks to Aunt Amy for clueing us into their existence.

After being on a Jane Austen watching kick all spring, I finally rose to a higher level and did some actual reading. I read Persuasion (which I believe is now my new favorite) and Sense & Sensibility. We were supposed to discuss the later at our last book club meeting (which has yet to find a meeting date) but I mistakenly thought we were reading the former (classic Jen-jo moment here) so ended up reading both. The discussion questions were great on the PBS site but I was so disappointed to go back and look for them and find they are gone! This is a great teaching guide but totally centered on the films as opposed to the books.

I realized anew that I am altogether too interested in fiction and although I've picked up quite a few nonfiction books there are an alarming number on my shelf that have been only read half way. Currently, I am reading Children Matter by Scottie May (started a great while back, picked up at the children's conference I attended this spring). Also, I finally purchased The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and finished Part IV and am working through Part I. Hope to finish both on our trips next week. A friend once told me she made it a rule to read 2 nonfictions to every fiction...I'd like to try and adopt that rule but must say it would be a hard stretch for me personally. But then again I'm definitely in need of some stretching

Back to fiction, I just LOVE the Mitford series so much. I finished book two, At Home in Mitford and found it every bit as enjoyable as the first (had heard some say the odd numbers in the series were best?). I love Father Tim's depiction of a priest...he is real, imperfect, has his areas of weakness...but he is so deeply relational, so truly living out the holiness he speaks of that he inspires me to sit with others, to listen more and talk less, to show loving acts of kindness after reading. And then there is Cynthia...what a lovely female heroine she is...I find her frankness refreshing and her steadfast loyalty absolutely endearing. Never would I have thought back in my twenties that I would someday think that a romance between sixtysomethings would be the ideal...but theirs is definitely an ideal setting type of love story.

The boys are reading Prince Caspian (with the hopes of watching it at the conclusion of their reading) but we've heard mixed reviews (good friends on both sides here) on the value of taking them to see it.

Any other summer reccomendations from you all...?

p.s. Josiah & Cole loved watching White Fang (Disney's adaptation of a Jack London classic)

11 comments:

laura k said...

Jenny! I was so excited to see all your posts this morning. I loved every word! Funny that you posted about Fancy Nancy. We just checked them out at the library and they are packed in our bags to read on our trip up north (we are camping this weekend). I'll have to share more about my book recommendations later - we are getting ready to head out the door (and I am still trying to pack - pretty typical of me lately!)

Kimberly said...

I'v not read FN...

yes, a 60's-age romance is looking pretty attractive:) I really intend to start that series this summer...also planning to buy another Lauren Winner book (I think the title is something like Mudhouse Sabbath)(I have some free points that translate to free book buying)...i like books like that as a nice balance (as you know.)
I get so bogged down in non-fiction that I miss out on just as worthy fiction, I think. I don't think such a rule would be good for me!

(I thought "Prince Caspien" the movie was a bit scary...but then I'm easily scared!)

Really enjoyed your catching up blogs...esp. the boys pics w/their teachers! Love to All!

jenny said...

Happy camping, Laura! I'd love to hear where you were going and how it went. How funny that we both just found Fancy Nancy...I love that.

Kimber! 60's is quite a stretch for you "darling" (I've taken on Fancy Nancy way of talking). Then again, hanging out in all those churches you may just find your Father Tim... I would also love to read Mudhouse Sabbath. Cara has read that and recommended it to me...that's how I first started reading GMG...I just picked up the first one I found by Winner at the library.

Anita Marie said...

I noticed a few months back that you had Girl Meets God posted on your blog. So, I ordered a copy and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Now, I want to read her other books. Thanks for letting me know she is out there.

Vonnie said...

Loved getting caught back up with your summer! I have a Fancy Nancy but she is 15 and I don't know if she would like the books now.... but we probably both would. I never was much of a girlie girl. So fun to have family visit! Looks like you had a great time.

laura k said...

Jenny -

Grace loved the Fancy Nancy books We also like the Nina, Nina Ballerina books which are also by Jane O'Connor. Other current favorites are: Kevin Henkes (espcially Owen, Lily's Purple Plastic Purse and Lily's Big Day), all the Frances books by Russell Hoban, the William Bennett Books (espcially The Children's Book of Faith and The Children's Book of Home and Family)and Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young. Also, a non-fiction book that we love is Fun With Nature (Mel Boring).

The non-fiction to fiction ratio is a great idea :) I usually read non-fiction but have the similar problem of starting and not finishing. I've recently finished re-reading Parenting is Heart Work by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller and highly recommend it. I'm now reading The Read Aloud Handbook. I initially got it to see the books he recommends, but after reading the introduction I decided to read the first half. It is proving to be very interesting and eye opening.

Susanna said...

"Rule Number Two" by Dr. Heidi Squier Kraft is an eye-opening book on the war in Iraq. Makes one appreciate what our soldiers are going through. (Definitely non-fiction--I don't get too much fiction reading done these days!)

Anonymous said...

I so love your blog, as it keeps me up to date on your family. I love the pics. The Mitford series is delightful!!! I've read them all and there's not a bad one in the bunch.

For children's books, have you read any of Patricia Palocco's books. She is a distant cousin of Chuck's. They are not religious, but they always have a good point to them. She writes from many different venues. Russian, blacks, family, etc. There are actually family pictures in her books that we've enjoyed looking at. Especially, "Pink and Say," "My Older, Rotten, Red-haired Brother," and so forth.

Vicki Frederick

Mary Ellen said...

Enjoyed just catching up on your last few blogs. I'm so jealous Michelle gets to see you soon, I hope you guys have a wonderful time - hope you are ready for a lot of laughing, she is still hysterical!

The Prince Caspian movie was only attended by Rick and our 10 year old, too scary for the younger ones. I would say if your next to the oldest can handle it and not have bad dreams, etc. and totally realizes it's all pretend he would be fine - Kaitlyn (age 7) would have been totally overwhelmed. So much of that depends on personality and not just age.

Loved seeing all the pictures, your twin nephews and your youngest could be triplets - they look SO much alike in all your pictures!

cheriepasbjerg said...

Hi Jen, haven't heard from you in some time, I wanted you to know I have started to read Pride and Prejudice and I am very much enjoying it. I only get about 30 minutes before bed, and I have to force myself to put it down. Thanks for inspiring me, I think I read some Jane Austen in college but I can't remember it. Have a great summer. xoxo

sarahmfry said...

I have had my eye on Fancy Nancy for awhile. Good to hear a review from someone I trust. We certainly have a fancy one here...

We recently discovered a great series of books about a Jewish family with 5 girls (and one boy on the way) "All of a Kind Family" - by Sydney Taylor. It is a chapter book that actually keeps their attention. So many chapter books are still a little out of their reach. We've really enjoyed this one. We also just discovered "The Magic Treehouse" series. We totally love it, accept for book #2 (the Mummy one), which includes a conversation with a "ghost." We don't do ghosts, so we didn't hang around long enough to find out what the deal was with that. Other than that, we're hooked on the series. (Another reminder to scan the book BEFORE I start reading!)

So sorry we've been so pathetic about coming up with a date to get together. We're going to have to get our junk together and get it done or the summer will be gone!

Sounds like you're having a good summer.