Saturday, August 2, 2008

camping

Our family with our friends, Jill & Rod, and their 4 boys who are all born in relative close proximity to our own kids. Our families are friends in every sense of the word...everybody always has a buddy (though some are more talkative than others!) when we are together.
"Just sitting here thinkin' with myself." (an old family joke)
Little boys who loooooove to do dishes.

Besides the fact Isaac appears to be pulling his diaper out (??) I love this picture. Jill took this picture and is making me laugh at something. A reminder to me of how joyful family times and friendships are if we only take the time to learn to laugh together.
Tom & Rod, planning a trek.
Lunch
Jill & Jen
Jill playing Uno by lantern light with a LOT of children.
Defending their castles from the evil marauders (i.e. the crazy babies).

Besides the fact we had rain (which is a big "besides"), our weather was actually quite beautiful. Cold enough for sweatshirts (which doubled as an extra defense against the mosquitos) at night but warm enough to swim in the day. The kids were a delight to see them frolic in the waves...and a few adults even turned into kids again as well.
Crazy but super sweet! Isaac is at a very hard stage to photograph...especially with a digital camera (the added delay is just enough time for him to turn away, bend down, or completely run out of the picture). I actually love this picture better than the one I was trying to get, though.
In times of rain...play charades!
"Me thinks me spys a pirate ship!"


Each day as I feel the bumps (many!) left by our darling mosquitos, they only bring a smile to my face at the many memories we made camping this year. Could we wish for better weather, less mosquitos...for sure, but good memories are always waiting to happen regardless of our situation. It's the quest for perfection that always drives a camping trip into the ground. Tom has taught me that one over the years. And in most cases, what goes wrong camping is usually the thing that will crack you up the most later on (sometimes much later)!

12 comments:

Trisha said...

Looks like tons of fun but Maddie is WAY out numbered. I have a feeling she can hold her own!!

Kimberly said...

Loved seeing these new pics...so fun looking! So glad ya'll a truly good time! Also enjoyed seeing Cole's game and Josiah's fun reading/dog time.

And yes, in most things, the "quest for perfection" is what ultimately (?) fouls things up...well-said...oh how I'm learning/living that!:)

cheriepasbjerg said...

So cute and how much fun is the water? Were you on lake Mi? That water is COLD. Looks like good times!

Anonymous said...

What a happy, happy trip! Thanks for sharing the pictures. They definitely bring a smile. I've really enjoyed catching up as I rouse myself from my semi-comatose summer state. Gotta wake up! Fall's a-comin'! :)

Jillian said...

Oh Jenny, we are already missing you and your gang. We had such a wonderful time and you were the ultimate hostess. All of us are still talking about the many memories that we made. The only sad part of the trip was having to say good-bye again. We're looking forward to your next visit down South. Maybe you'd better wait until we're back down out of the triple digits. Until then, we'll have the many wonderful pictures and memories of Benadryl and sniffers to remind us that great friendships are not subject to distance or time. We are so thankful that God brought us together as friends and we look forward to the many memories to come!
love and miss,
jill

Vonnie said...

You went on a blogging spree so I am getting caught up... looks like a fun time camping.

Cara said...

Jen,

Love the "quest for perfection" bit of wisdom from Tom! Will have to write that down as I need to remember it daily. I was also reminded of our trip to Mackinac Island when the girls stayed in the motel and the guys camped out without the tent poles and with the mosquitoes. Camping with friends is the best--we'll have to camp with you guys again in the near future.

At A Hen's Pace said...

Camping sure is a way to build great memories! We have friends who are self-proclaimed "non-campers" but they will camp with us because it's just way too much fun.:)

We are having our first-ever/first annual? church camping trip this weekend, and I am so excited to get to know the other families better--as you only can by camping together!

~Jeanne

julie f said...

Oh, this looks like so much fun! We had a cold spring and by the time the heat came around, I really have not felt like camping. Our entire small group came and camped out at our house for a night and day, and the kids and Robb slept under the stars. It was perfect for me as I did not have to pack anything, and I got to sleep in my own bed!
Next year, I will do the real thing, though. There is nothing quite like the whole experience!

We're hanging in there...not too much longer until we meet our little girl! We'll call when we have news!!

Love you all!

cheriepasbjerg said...

Jenny, your comment on my blog made me laugh so hard out loud. I know exactely what you are talking about, I had almost forgot, the cob webs pushed aside. Ever the fashionista, even if it is only in my own mind. I will NEVER forget that, you were the first friend I made there and the best friend a girl could ask for. You laughed so hard at me, I think you snorted. Thanks for the walk down that memory lane. xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new pic at the top of your blog!! Enjoyed all the new posts!

Al said...

How did you like Point Beach? Looks like lots of fun!
(Jacque)