Thursday, August 14, 2008

summer baking

Okay, I know it's probably too hot for some of you to even want to attempt turning on the oven, but around here we've had delightful weather. After reading the "moneysavingmom" write about making a peach pie in which her preschool daughter cut shapes to create the top layer, I was inspired to try baking a peach pie. I tried linking to this post--it was part of her "making your home a haven" series on her other blog--but I am getting a virus alert every time I go there. Josiah was actually my helper when we baked and he wanted to try the lattice as he's done lattice work in art class and thought it was quite cool to see it done on a pie. I've baked pies for quite a while but I really haven't made summer pies, utilizing any of the fresh fruits of the season. Well, this one turned out so well I decided to share. And by the way, what ever happened to the sharing of recipes?? Last year, when I began blogging it seemed like a lot of people were sharing the goods. Lately, I haven't seen any. Just wanted to say...I for one, love getting new ideas, especially from friends I know are awesome cooks but I live too far away from you all to ever swap ideas. I decided to label my recipe posts so that it will be easier to find them later.


My mother-in-law's never fail pie crust
She is one of the greatest cooks of ALL time!...I'm always grateful for her recipes and all the memories we've made cooking together throughout the years.

2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
1 c. shortening

Crump with pastry blender. Put in 1/2 c. cold water, enough to moisten.


Peach Pie
taken from the Joy of Cooking, a gift from my mom last Christmas that I continually use

2 and a half pound of peaches ( I used 5-6 c.)
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. flour
3 T. lemon juice
(1/4 t. almond extract)

Pour filling into crust and dot with 2-3 T. butter.

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes then down to 350 for 40 minutes~your oven may be different, basically bake until crust is browned to your liking and until the juices bubble through the lattice.

10 comments:

cheriepasbjerg said...

Jenny the pie looks beautiful. And yummy. Here is a good summer
hor devoure--did I spell that right?
Bruchetta

one loaf of skinny french hard crust bread. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Toast them in the oven if you want you don't have to.

Combine
5-6 roma tomatoes diced small
3 cloves of garlic pressed
2 green onions sliced small
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
Let this sit for a few hours or over night.

On the slices of bread spread some goat cheese
then on top of the goat cheese place a basil leaf (make a little indentation into the cheese with the leaf)

Then spoon your tomato mixture on the top.

I promise this will be a hit if you are going to someone's house or having people over. Really easy and delicious and you get to use the fresh herbs and tomatos from the summer.

cheriepasbjerg said...

Oh and some salt and fresh ground pepper in the tomato mixture.

Vonnie said...

This recipe looks sooooo good!! I will have to try it. Since you were asking for good recipes... I have a friend in Texas who just posted what looks to be the world's best chocolate cookie recipe on her blog. If you go to my blog and click on Cara's name you should be able to find it. They look soooooo good!!!

kayla said...

That does look good!
You're right, we should start posting recipes again. Thanks for reminding us.

SheilaDy said...

The pie looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing!
I have a couple of recipes that I need to share! Thanks for the reminder!

Andrea said...

Hi Jenny! This is Jeff's cousin in PA. I met you a few times at our Nazarene church, when you were in visiting! Great looking pie! I'm going to try making it next week! The boys always love to help!

Kimberly said...

Yummo...wish I could have some!! Of course that would work against my olympic inspired realization of how I need to get "more fit"...Ha! Those bodies are something else!!

You're right....we do need to post recipes again...I like the labeling idea...(JUST of recipes!:)..I have a couple in mind. Love Ya and been meaning to call this week....

Kimberly said...

PS...I have been impressed with your pie skills for a long time!

Anonymous said...

Really lovely pie! You impress me greatly. I am challenged at the art of pie making. Must try my hand at it more often.

Kimberly said...

Since seeing this post, I have been thinking of your Mom's wonderful little apricot pies...i wish I had one right now with my coffee!

(Ok...that's my final comment!)