Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chicken Continental

Okay, I think up to this point most of the recipes I've shared have been desserts (and I wonder why I struggle with my weight?) but I am excited to share a main course this time around. I love this recipe for many reasons. First it is from my dear friend Jill (does anyone else love recipes more because they come from someone you love or is that just me?), second it uses instant rice so it cooks in 30 minutes (move over Rachel Ray) and most importantly it is delicious! It is comfort food to the core.

4 boneless chicken breasts
1/3 c. butter (I use half olive oil, half butter to keep butter from burning)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 T. grated onion
dash pepper
1 T. chopped parsley
1 t. salt
1/2 t. celery flakes
1/8 t. thyme
1 1/3 c. water
1 1/3 c. instant rice

Roll chicken in flour; brown in butter. Remove chicken. Stir soup, seasonings and water into drippings. Cook and stir to a boil. Spread instant rice in 1 3/4 quart shallow casserole. Pour all but 1/3 cup soup over rice. Stir to moisten. Top with chicken and rest of soup. Bake, covered at 375 for 30 minutes or until tender (I usually bake mine a little longer provided I have the time).

No comments: