Wednesday, November 28, 2007

New book for January book club

When my "well read friend" Amy announced this was to be our next book....I had an excited flutter in my stomach followed by a panic attack flutter. As much as I would like to read the confessions...I also thought how in the world am I going to do that in my current stage of life?!


But you know what, I made it through book 1 the other night (while taking a long relaxing soak in the tub....I love to read books that way) and it's really not that hard. Lots of food to chew on and I'm really excited to complete it now. Just like with running, I find most battles are in my mind. If I decide I AM going to do it--nothing stops me. But all too often, I defeat myself in my mind before I ever even try.


Here is a link to the Midday Connection (a Moody broadcast) Book Club with lots of resources (including study questions, and a podcast with lit prof from Moody discussing this book later in January).


So, I know it's a busy time...but I'm not trying to finish it until late January. Anyone else interested is cordially invited to read with me the Confessions of St. Augustine (you know..."our heart is restless until it rests in Thee"...that was him).

5 comments:

Tara said...

Ah, Jenny....I agree, ALL battles are won or lost in the mind first.
Thanks for passing along this info about the book club...I may very well decide to join in. I remember listening to Midday Connection on the Moody station in FL. Don't have it around here.

LOVE the new festive pics of your kiddos! SO cute!

Anonymous said...

Jenny, you have inspired me. "Confessions" is right now on my bookshelf, but I have yet to read it. I think I will dive in!

Since I've been out of the circuit for a while, it was so nice to catch up on your family's activities. I enjoyed your last several posts so much. Thanksgiving looked wonderful, and bravo to you for doing the Turkey Trot. I am suitably impressed!! Love ya!

jenny said...

I am SO excited about your interest girls!!! If you do start reading, be sure to pick up a copy with a recent translation. The one pictured is the one suggested by Moody (and quite interestingly also published by them). I did notice right away that it is FAR easier to read than the one I had sitting on my shelf (of course, unread). So, usually I am all about using the library...but for this one I purchased the newer copy (which only includes books 1-10). I plan on posting when I am all done reading and would love you all's input at that point if you are still reading with me. If not, I'm sure we will find other things to post and comment about!

Kimberly said...

I would like to do this...
for me, I can resolutely make up my mind to infinity but still perhaps not complete the task...
i still have not finished the 2 Dallas Willard books I bought LAST Jan...:( Must improve here.
Love the new pics.!

jenny said...

Kimber:
As someone who just renewed Wives & Daughters (at your recommendation) for the third time (each renewal is a month) without yet reading a page, I totally relate! But it's the fact we are trying at all that excites me...I'm reading again...yeah!!!