Sunday, November 11, 2007

Random thoughts from the past week...

Some of you know that Tom is on sabbatical writing this semester. He has been working from "home" (he usually goes over to the library a few blocks away) 2-3 days a week, eliminating his commuting time on those days. One of the other perks is that we get the treat of eating lunch together. This week, Daddy delighted Maddie by playing Candyland over his lunch break. She just couldn't have been more pleased had he roped her in the moon. We've been trying to work on ways to enjoy one on one time with our children. Next planned...a date for "tea" out with Dad. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that one...but that would ruin the whole point, huh?
Whatever card she just drew....this look says she is well pleased! What a gift to enjoy the "small things" with our children and delight in watching their enjoyment.



Isaac finds new uses for the light saber, a.k.a. walking stick!







It's finally real fall weather up north...I had to dig and find the hats and mittens this week. Our fall is unusually late, though, and the majority of the leaves on our trees have not fallen. However, we did start the fun of raking this week. I love seeing the kids play in the piles...and don't mind the exercise either. I just have to figure out a way to watch Isaac and rake at the same time. He is loving his newfound freedom in walking, but can really get hurt falling on the pavement outside. Right after snapping this picture, he sported a new bruise above his right eye.



Yesterday we headed up to the zoo for free days. Our in house animal enthusiast was "in heaven" and the rest of us enjoyed it as well.
Speaking of "free"...as my local friends know all too well, I've been on a "frugal living" re-evaluation. Tom and I have always been either students or in full time ministry, which in our case has meant we had to live on a budget. Through my friend, Amy, I have been linking to a web site that highlights really good deals. I must confess that coupon clipping just seems so "hassle-full" to me. But, with Crystal's help (the moneysavingmom.com lady), it is greatly simplified because she tells you what coupons to clip, combine, and what stores have the best programs to save with. The main two stores that always have "free" deals (after rebate and coupon) are CVS and Walgreens. I happen to live, literally, blocks away from both, so I am trying to embark on this new frugal journey. Crystal feeds her family of four on $35.00/week!!! That blows my mind...I don't think I will ever be there but I think I can surely manage to trim some of the excess off of our own grocery list.
  • In thinking about frugal living (btw, try googling those two words and you'll be amazed at the plethora of material out there), I think it's important to lay out reasons for frugality:
  1. It's not about obsessing about money (frugal people can be just as obsessive as greedy people)
  2. It's not about "getting" more stuff (the point should be good stewardship, i.e. no debt, and a generous spirit that enjoys giving away more)
  3. It is about evaluating what we "need" vs. what we "want"

8 comments:

Vonnie said...

Amen! Nice pictures. Enjoy your fall... winter's coming! :)

cheriepasbjerg said...

Love the pictures, I also love that you and Tom spend one on one time with each of your children. I think it makes them feel special to have your undivided attention. I think it would be hilarious to see Tom having Tea time with your daughter. Too cute!

kayla said...

Love the Candyland pictures, especially the one of her looking at her card. Too cute.
Thanks for the link. I found some helpful tips. With four boys my grocery bill seems to grow each week. Please share anymore helpful hints that you have. It will make Harold very happy.

Kimberly said...

Sweet pics! Glad Tom's schedule is more flexible at this time..i know ya'll must be enjoying that!

Good thoughts on "saving"..ah, the needs vs. wants issue. As a naturally "cheap" person, I readily admit that a bargain doesn't necessarily equal a generous spirit..a need to keep in check...I am challenged to not let "Stuff" define me...either an abundance or a lack thereof!:) Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Jenny, thanks for your comment on our blog. I thought I'd reply here, since I didn't know if you'd check our comments again. Jessica and I enjoyed coming to eat with you and your family, and we don't mind the drive. I don't know if it will work out during this semester or not (I know that things get busier as the holidays approach), but we certainly would like to visit with you again. Fridays and Saturdays are usually best. Perhaps you and Tom can look at your schedule and give us a few dates that would work with you guys. Then we can pick one that works for us.

Thanks a lot,
Stephen Smith

laura k said...

So sweet! Love having seeing glimses of your day-to-day life!Grace is very into Candyland right now too. I'm going to (attempt) making her a Candyland birthday cake next month...

So glad you're doing on one with your kiddos...we've started that as well. So good for them to feel spoiled as far as attention and love goes!

Thanks for the thoughts and link on frugal living. I completely agree! I'll have to check the link out soon!

Sending lots of love across the big "pond"! ~Laura

SheilaDy said...

I thought the pictures of Daddy playing Candyland with Maddie were very sweet!
Thank you also for your thoughts on saving money. I was introduced to a gal a few weeks ago, that teaches how to use coupons to their full potential. I am going to look into it.
Blessings,
Sheila

Unknown said...

On my blog you alluded to a very funny experience about frugal shopping, I an really enxious to hear about it...are you gonna blog it?