Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Budgets

Tom and I have been taking Dave Ramsey's class, Financial Peace. So far, we are enjoying it and picking up some great tips...but I think both of us would say that our favorite part of the class is just being together and purposefully dreaming about tomorrow. My one big caveat with him is step #7 where he says then you will be "the rich getting richer" and while he says this is the goal so that you will be enabled to give more, I'm still left going "huh?"

Anyways, I digress, my point in posting is to talk food budgets. Friends of ours are teaching this class and they were sharing with us that food had been the largest area they saw they could "attack" to reduce their spendings.

Well that was right down my alley because I had been challenged a few months back to think the same way by Crystal Paine (http://www.moneysavingmom.com/). Crystal feeds her family of four on $40/week. However after reading some of her materials she suggested starting at $3/day per family member food allowance. Then over time try reducing to $2/day per family member. For us (family of 6) that gives a weekly range of $126 ($3/person) down to $84 ($2/person). I found that SO much more manageable to shoot for than her own example of $40/week (I read her blog and say go girl! but so far just have not been able to find that within the scope of reasonability for us).

Back to Financial Peace...the friend who is leading this told me that they started out feeding their family of 4 on $50/wk, and then increased to $75/wk after having another baby.

So, that's where I'm at...trying to stick to a rigid food budget of $80/week with the hope we can even cut that down by maybe a little. It's changed the way I shop a little, but honestly, not greatly. I buy chicken in bulk when it's on sale, we eat a lot of deer and moose (thanks to Tom's parents or the occasional hunt he gets to go on), and I shop first at Aldi and then onto another store to find rarer or higher quality ingredients. I am not couponing at present. I'm trying to get good at it but just find it sooooooooooooooooooooooo overwhelming. Maybe somebody could help me with it that's good at it.

Anybody else thinking food budgets out there...and if so, what resources/ideas do you recommend? And, do you think this is the right ballpark for a family of 6?

6 comments:

cheriepasbjerg said...

I am terrible at sticking to a budget for food, because I love to cook and I love to cook unusual things. We buy all organic also way too expensive. I figure that, and the garden are my hobbies and Ryan enjoys the food. Sorry can't help Jen. But I really don't spend money on anything else. Hope you are doing good!

JenLo said...

Hey there! We are in week 6 of FPU at our church (I'm the coordinator). Personally for us, cutting our food budget way down was just not where we concentrated, but we did greatly reduce eating out. That was kind of my "permission" to spend a little more at the grocery store.

Kimberly said...

I, on the other hand, try to spend less at the grocery store so that I can feel less guilty about eating out!:) I love 2 for 1 deals at Winn-Dixie though...esp. on meat. I have nothing of substance to add here...I like my splurges on Ben$Jerry's, already diced seasonings, and good coffee and like Cherie enjoy tring new things ....and the occasional Expensive trip to Whole Foods....in other words, I spend too much on food and should prabably learn how to budget better!! You shall be my inspiration! Love Ya!

(Just have to add that the comments on the previous post are great!)

Tara said...

I don't have anything of real value to add to this discussion, Jenny! But I am interested in the responses you'll get. I like to cook different things occasionally as well...and also prefer to buy the "healthier" items at times which can rack up the bill. Such a bummer. When we're really pinching pennies, our diet is so much worse. NO FAIR! :) Eating out is definitely the "sin" in the food budget area. If we're gonna do it, Tuesday night is the time to do it, b/c many restaurants have kids eat free!

We haven't taken the class, but have gone through my parents FPU materials, as well as as reading the Total Money Makeover book/workbook. I'm hoping this is "our year" to get it right. Fingers crossed.......


Good luck to ya!

slimsdotter said...

Let us know what you decide. I don't have a $ figure either, since I rarely buy any meat. (Wild game, and we raise our own). The prices are sure going up fast in the store though. I wouldn't be surprised if we all pay 1/3 more, at least, soon. But then again, I'm a pessimist on a good day!!

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are on the right track. we spend about $50-60 per week for a family of four. hope you are enjoying dave as much as we did. we so identify with him and his southern roots! after buying a new home, our budget is getting tighter than ever. i am looking for new ways to earn a little extra. God is good, He always provides! misty