Saturday, April 12, 2008

Chicago b-day celebrations


This morning we are laying low around the house as Dad is "suffering for the work of the Lord" in Florida while we are home in Wisconsin with a forecast of snow possible. Actually, it's been rather refreshing to just hang out around the house together. It's hard to believe just a week ago today we went into the city to hang out at the zoo and with my sister and brother-in-law. What a beautiful spring day it was (and all of Chicago joined us at the zoo). I love the picture below of Tom and the 2 boys...one, it's just a cute picture...but mostly for the memory of my two kiddos with "shoe/boot issues." Isaac won't leave his shoes (or socks for that matter) on, and Josiah seems to think he "has" to still wear boots even though the snow really is gone (or so we thought). Due to driving separate vehicles on this particular day, Tom had wound up with these two in his car and wasn't the least perplexed by forgetting shoes for both of them...Si, of course, did have boots on (we finally had to hide his boots to get him to stop putting them on, we usually would not catch that he had put boots instead of shoes on until we were en route somewhere...church was always a smashing presentation....dress clothes and thick winter boots which were of course pulled up to his knees with his trousers in a wad above); Isaac, didn't have any on because I figured it was easier to keep track of his shoes and socks if I just put them in my purse. Well, Tom gets the resourceful Dad of the week award for searching high and low through the suburban to come up with a pair of dress shoes to put on Isaac (without socks) as I had to park a long distance from where he had parked before we met up in the zoo later. This is probably a confusing story but it really, really cracked us up. I am very thankful for a husband that reminds me what is and is not important...and teaches me to laugh about the insignificant. I am remembering another trip to a museum late last year when Tom had not noticed that Cole had mistakenly put on Si's pants. He had highwater pants by a literal 5 inches....neither Tom or Cole were the least bit bothered! I still can laugh out loud when I remember that day.
Later we went back to my sister's where she surprised Si with a really, really cool cake. There was an elaborate lion and giraffe made out of fondant on the cake. It was by far the neatest cake we have ever had for a b-day. She had special ordered the filling to have fresh strawberries as Josiah adores eating them (more than cake)!

Many thanks to Amy and Steve for a delightful day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! And I'm all about hanging around the house. :)

Kimberly said...

Absolutely love the story...the pics...the look on Si's face w/his cake and aunt and uncle..and of course, love you all!:)

sarahmfry said...

I love the shoes/boots story! Makes me feel better. Some time we'd like to tag along on one of those zoo visits! (David's classes are done in only a few weeks...YAY!!!)

Julia said...

Jenny;

I used to carry a diaper in the glove box in case of emergency, but I never considered extra shoes. :) Fun story. Good reminder to this momma to not "sweat the small stuff".

cheriepasbjerg said...

Sofe has a pair of her favorite "shoes shoes" can't leave the house without them! Funny how kids get that way. Love your story, your right though, it is funny how those times really can make you realize what you can do without--good shoes. Does it matter??? Super cute.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday -- Si! Your gift will be at your house soon! Sorry that it is late. We love you and you are a special little Si-Guy!
Love,
Aunt Deb

loree2000 said...

Love the cake!