Monday, November 10, 2008

best chili recipe ever

Ever the prepared chef, I called my friend Kate on Saturday night on the way to the store to get this recipe. We had eaten this at their house a while back...but it had lived on in my memory. Well oh joy that when I made it, it indeed tasted wonderful and the kids (and hubby) all really loved it. They serve their chili over cooked elbow macaroni and topped with a little shredded cheddar cheese. It is so good that way! This is a really easy, economical and delicious meal. And, knowing Kate gave it to me is special in and of itself. She is someone who takes whatever trials of life she faces and views them as opportunities to grow her faith and worship the Lord with her life and voice. Her beautiful daughter babysits our children.

A pound of ground beef
1 can Brooks chili hot beans ( I couldn't find Brooks, but used Bush's) and I crushed these a little to eliminate the "ew, beans" comments
1 can stewed tomatoes, chopped so there are no big chunks of tomatoes (use pampered chef chopper for this)
Up to 2 small cans tomato sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder, celery seed, ground mustard
½ tsp cumin, salt, sugar
1½ - 2 tsp chili powder
Bay leaf

Simmer till flavorful…..enjoy!

You will definitely want to double this recipe if you have a larger family. We didn't but wished we had.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I'm just loving all these blog posts! We just got back from a weekend visiting Ky at IWU and I was so happy to see new posts! I will have to try the chili recipe - Jackson loves anything with beans in it (we're still workin on big sister).

I'm glad you're enjoying the new AP CD - I am too. I am enjoying hearing the familiar feel of his earlier albums.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, Seeds of Faith is my favorite. Grace and I recently sang "Grace" in church with Jordan playing guitar (did you know they have all the guitar music for free on their website?!They also have clips of all the songs). We (and all the kiddos at church) love the song "Crushed" which is on the Seeds of Courage CD.
2. Yes, I fell to the Facebook fad as well, but haven't really gotten into it :)

Vonnie said...

This sounds really good!!