Thursday, November 6, 2008

what I'm listening to

Christmas is coming...and yes it is time to organize/find all those great Christmas cd's...be sure to check out Behold the Lamb of God by Andrew Peterson. That cd along with Michael Card's are my personal Christmas favorites.

My dear friend Laura suprised me the other day by sending me a new cd of Andrew Peterson that I didn't even know existed. It is called Resurrection Letters Vol. 2 and I have been listening to it exclusively. It wasn't what I expected at first, but it is deeply narrative and I think that is what has always drawn me to his music. The older I grow, the more I am appreciating the gospel in the narrative sense and think sometimes we miss the forest for the trees by not stopping to see God's story in it all.

I also liked this review by CT and agree that it sounds like some of his earlier work at times but as a long time fan that is a good thing to me. I think Don't Give Up on Me is the best melody on the album. I can't quite figure out who it refers to either, but agree with the review writer that his artistry really shines here. We need more of the "don't give up on me, I won't give up on you" mentality in our world, particularly among families, churches, political parties, you name it. The Good Confession is definitely my favorite song. I close with a quote from the latter that I resonate with:

"All I know is that I was blind but now I see that though I kick and scream, Love is leading me. And every step of the way his grace is
making me;
with every breath I breathe, he is
saving me.
And I believe."

2 comments:

JCRandolph said...

Your husband stopped by our blog to say hello, thought I'd drop by yours. What a beautiful family! May God bless you as you serve him. Maybe someday you will get to go to Alaska :).
Kristie

Cara said...

Jen, you'll have to bring your Andrew Peterson CD when you come to WV. Would love to hear it!