Sunday, September 30, 2007

We had to laugh as we got together this weekend with Jamey and Cara. We were reflecting on all the crazy trips we have taken to see each other...and as thankful as we are for each time...we have to wonder what our kids will grow up thinking about this time where our driving time almost surpassed the actual time we had to be together. I guess it says a lot for commitment and loyalty that is possible with long distance friendships. Tom was teaching in Akron this weekend so we were able to tag along for no extra charge and added an extra night to meet Jamey, Cara & kids in a wonderful fully equipped cabin on the OH/PA border. Fall is just starting there so it was a beautiful time to camp. The boys were the only ones disappointed to not get to stay in a tent...the rest of us thought that modern conveniences + 2 babies = rest and enjoyment for all.





Sleepovers are grand!



Don't these 2 look like they have a promising future?
The kiddos all enjoyed a dip in our hotel pool before we had to part ways.
Exploring the ledges at Nelson Ledges State Park


Two long time compadres who love God, inspire each other in their walks with Him, and always, always make each other laugh. You can't help but laugh just listening in on their laughter, reminiscing, and "proverbial wisdom".

I think my favorite memory of this visit was on Friday night. Although Tom had to go teach, Jamey and Cara had driven back with us to the hotel, the kids got to go swimming, and we ordered in pizza so we could eat dinner easily all together. Well, long story short our room had only one double bed...so we had 8 kiddos (yep, count that out loud), 3 adults and one rousing game of WVU college football game on. Jamey and Cara don't have T.V. and there kids are major sports enthusiasts so you can picture the scene. But that's not the funny part...Maddie and Kelcie, our two girlie-girls, were prancing all over the room the entire evening talking up a storm and for the most part entertaining each other so well that no one gave them a lick of attention. Well, as everybody was getting ready to leave I happened to walk over behind a large overstuffed chair (where Jamey had been sitting) and noticed there were Ritz cracker crumbs EVERYWHERE. When I pointed it out, Jamey said, ah, yes, the girls were I believe making "baby cakes." This just cracked Cara and I up to no end. I know it was late and maybe you just had to be there but those two are just too funny with their imaginations. Cracker crumbs clean up easily, but memories last a long time these days in our children's minds. What a joy to watch a 2nd generation friendship blooming!

6 comments:

kayla said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I like the picture of Tom and Jamey together. Reminds of their college days.

Kimberly said...

I like the new look! Ya'll have been busy!

julie f said...

You made me smile, thinking about all of you together! Sounds like super great memories!

Your blog looks great; very pleasant to the eyes.

Love and hugs to you all (and especially little Isaac. I can't believe he is walking!)!

Mary Ellen said...

Always fun to see pictures of old college friends - so nice you all find to get together!

Anonymous said...

What special memories! I'm so happy for you guys. I love the new look. It is a good extension of you. :) Blessings on your day!

sarahmfry said...

Oooh..I'm jealous! Looks so fun. It was neat to get to see Jamey and Cara and their family. We rented their Mississippi house for several years, but never got to meet them.

I've thought of you a lot recently as my mind has wandered through my friends list for someone who would understand what it is to live with a PhD student. It makes me feel good to know that you've been there - I just don't think I handle it all with quite as much joy and grace as you did. smiles