Sunday, September 16, 2007

On reading and thinking

I'm attempting to do something I haven't tried in awhile...to post something thoughtful. I love blogging (way more than I'd ever have thought) but confess it's mostly about connection for me and instantaneous picture sharing. But I love reading others thoughts and although these are not my own thoughts I am attempting tonight to engage with the thoughts of two authors I've been reading of late.

I finished To Own a Dragon, Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father by Donald Miller recently. I am very thankful for this read because it helped me engage my culture (so many are growing up fatherless and in stark contrast to our own home) and put me in touch with a growing movement called the emergent church. Miller is well known for being a part of this movement that prides itself on engaging a postmodern culture. This boy can write. Reading this book, to me, felt like it took seconds. But just because something goes down easy, does that mean it's good for you? I can easily wile away 15 minutes at the doctor's office reading People magazine but I hope we'd all agree that that kind of cultural relevancy is probably not doing a whole lot for my spiritual growth. Actually, I thought Miller had lots to say in this book that was worthwhile...the main emphasis of the book is upon having a personal relationship with God, our Father and he even had good Trinitarian emphasis here. The parts of the book that I question are his crudity at points. He's also clearly got some authority and irresponsibility issues going on, but it's his honesty on these points that finds him endearing and God sends along a father figure (John McMurray) who mentors him in these areas. The book is written to other men and is definitely trying to help them heal from their "father wounds," own up to their own issues, and mentor others. Here's a sample of quotes I particularly liked:



On belonging, Ch. 4: "If a kid grows up feeling he is burdening the people around him, he is going to operate as though the world doesn't want him."


From Girls: The Thing Tony Said, Ch. 9 "I think we can use other people, romantic stuff, to validate ourselves. It has nothing to do with love. And when you find love, or when you are mature enough to understand it, the feeling you get is gratitude. I'm not saying I am mature by any means, but when I wake up in the morning and look at my wife sleeping next to me, I am sometimes overcome that another human being would want to share her life with me."--Tony (married friend) speaking to Don who is single

On education, Ch. 13: "The latest statistic is that the average American watches 1,456 hours of television a year but only reads three books. So if it's true that readers are leaders, and the more you read the further you advance. then there isn't a lot of competition."

On faith, Ch. 14: "...that will grow. You're young, with a lot of life ahead. I think the important thing to remember is what you already know, and that is to trust Him, to believe Him, to give Him...the benefit of the doubt, or as I would say, to have faith. The doubt will decrease." --John McMurray to Don

On the love of God our Father, Ch. 4: "He (John) told me that when Terri (John's wife) gave birth to Chris, and he held his son in his arms for the first time, it was the closest he had ever been to understanding the love of God. He said that though he had never met this little person, this tiny baby, he felt incredible love for him, as though he would lie down in front of a train if he had to, that he would give up his life without so much as thinking about it, just because this child existed. John set this love beside other relationships, but they didn't compare. In other relationships, the person he knew had to earn his love. Even with his own father, John learned to love him; and with his wife, they had fallen in love over several years, becoming closer and closer friends. But it wasn't that way with his children. His love for them was instantaneous, from the moment of their birth. They had performed nothing to earn his love other than be born. It was the truest most undconditional love he had known. John said if his love for Chris was the tiniest inkling of how God loves us then he had all the security in the world in dealing with God, because he knew, firsthand, what God's love toward him felt like, that it was complete."

I am now reading Searching For God Knows What and read a brief excerpt of Blue Like Jazz and must confess I've been rather disappointed. I guess it's been helpful to me to realize why I am not that into the emergent line of thinking but it is good to know how to dialogue with this thought. More specifics on this if anyone's interested...


I thought the following quotes by Will Willimon help shed light on problems with the so called emergent thinking and reminded me in a poignant manner why I am a traditional Wesleyan:

"A bestselling book of the past year says it all: Leaving Church. Our God dis-incarnate determines that we all must disembody our faith and leave church in order to follow the governmentally approved ordo salutus - saving ourselves by descending ever deeper into our subjectivity. Because of our limp theology, our anthropology becomes too stable, and the purpose of our preaching is adjustment, confirmation rather than conversion. Preaching thus becomes another means of self-cultivation as well as a well reasoned defense against true transformation."

"For Wesley, grace was the constant, moment-by-moment active working of God in us that gives us a different life, indeed a different world, than we would have had if God had left us alone. Without God we wretched sinners can do nothing, thought Wesley, with God we being-sanctified saints can to all things. Wesley took the Moravian one-time experience of spiritual enlightenment and made it a lifetime process of daily awakening to what grace can do among us."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your thought provoking post. A very good read! I enjoy your blog so much. Your thoughts are always worthwhile. I also love the Wesleyan view of a daily, moment by moment grace. I am humbled and grateful for its presence.

Thanks also for the gentle nudge and reminder that I am part of a community here on line. I can't afford to duck out for too long a time (even for legitimate reasons). I'm glad to have brought a smile, but you can thank yourself in part for its presence. :) By the way, it has been way to long since we've talked for real!

laura k said...

Very good thoughts, Jenny. Thanks for sharing. I have read a little Donald Miller and some Rob Bell (Mars Hill Bible Church) and have had such a hard time relating to post-modern Christianity. I'd love to "talk" more about it sometime.

I need to talk with you real soon about Hearts (hoping to give Brooke an answer) but never know when a good time to call is :) So then I never ending up calling you! Hopefully we'll talk soon.

jenny said...

Sonja--so glad to see you alive and kickin'. It was as I assumed, you are indeed working too hard. Your good heart is needed in this world greatly so we "must needs" take very good care of it!

Laura--Rob Bell is next on my list to read. I am really trying to understand "emergent." Interestingly, last week Maddie was sick (and was she ever!) so I stayed home with her on Sunday. Late that evening I downloaded a podcast from Mars Hill (the first in their series 12 weeks at Mars Hill by Ed Dobson). I liked it a lot and would love to visit there if we ever get back to the great state of MI. We definitely need to talk--anytime is great for me. The wallpaper is in the midst of coming down so our house is a little wrongside up at the moment. Some day we will have all these warm fuzzies when we see it (because we have 3 years worth of b-day pics times 3 kids in front of it)but right now those warm fuzzies are nowhere to be had.

kayla said...

You and Kimber have me researching a little on the emergent church. Glad I have a good foundation cause it could be very easy to get caught up in. Some good stuff to think on though.
I read the review of "To Own a Dragon". It was interesting that he said that his co-author "goes at the Bible like Ray Charles does the piano". Kimber's uncle named his dog Ray Charles and it has been a great source of amusement.
Thanks for your insight on my blog. Sorry you lost your first comment, how frustrating.

Kimberly said...

Love the Wesley quote, and laughing right now that my uncle's dog has somehow made it into these comments on the emergant church!!! I think they would approve, if I understand the movement at all..(which I do very little).

Thanks for prodding our thinking! I like learning about and discussing the trends in the church world..and think it's IMPORTANT to at least be aware of what's happening. But my current problem is making a difference in my own church...my own little world...my own little subculture/rural community that seems oldfashioned and is light years away from "new methods"...hard to keep it all straight.
(I have read the Driscoll article tonight finally...interesting.)

any thoughts Miller has on fatherlessness are worthy, I'm sure. Such a big problem in our culture, and maybe if nothing else, God can use these groups to make a difference in an area where traditional church has certainly failed...definately a needed thing!

Anonymous said...

Posting here feels a little like stumbling unwittingly into a sorority, so forgive me if this is not supposed to be co-ed. Just wanted to let you know that I have enjoyed your posts . . . quotes . . . pictures. Don't be too concerned if you aren't totally up on the emergent thing. Things are always "emerging." Besides, by tomorrow it will all be so hopelessly yesterday that it won't matter anyway.

Matt

jenny said...

Dearest Matt~If we give off the appearance of being a sorority--be assured we are one that likes men! I am honored you stopped by and hope you will do so more often. You've got a lot of wisdom to share and I for one always love to hear it from your perspective.

Kimber~your thoughts are spot on...as much as it may be fun to read up on current trends the heart of the matter is whether or not we are letting our faith "emerge" in the daily places we are planted. And, I should have known you'd get fixated on the dog! Brings a smile to my face to remember your issues with that species.

Kayla~I must confess I know little or nothing about jazz but the only time I went to New Orleans (with Kim) left me wishing I did.

Kimberly said...

Just had to add that I love the new black and white family shot...Love Ya!

sarahmfry said...

I love that quote..."A daily awakening to what God can do among us." (I typed this and then read some other comments and saw that I'm not the only one who connected with it. We're Wesleyan Women, for sure!)

I am also interested in hearing your more specific comments. I've been wanting to better understand the Emergent Church as David has studied it, but would love to have someone suggest the best books to read, to avoid wasting time reading the others. Please share more when you get your painting done!

Anonymous said...

Jenny:

I found this blog after looking at Donald Miller's website. I thought I would weigh in as someone who is probably part of the "emergent church." I became a believer when I was 18 years old through a radical transormative experience. God changed me immediately and made me realize how real He is. I then got very involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (and still strongly support that ministry) and started living the "Christian life."

I have been a Christian now for 19 years. In the past two years, I went from being your typical "conservative, Evangelical Christian" to being a bit "radical" about following Christ. Rob Bell's book "Velvet Elvis," Donald Miller's "Searching for God Knows What," Erwin Raphael McManus's "The Barbarian Way," and Shane Claiborne's "The Irresistible Revolution" were all significant books I read during that time period.

In my opinion, the emerging church is really just an attempt to respond to the perception that the church in America has lost its way. The perception that, somewhere along the way, we became culturized, so to speak. Donald Miller uses the term "lifeboat" mentality, and I think that adequately describes it.

Instead of looking to love the lost, Christians often spend inordinate amounts of time trying to find people just like them to develop a social circle (i.e., a group they can congregate with in the lifeboat). We may call it a "bible study" or fellowship group or small group, but really we are seeking community with people like us. That is good, if we then go out as a group into the world to be salt and light. But, too often we hole up and just get together and socialize and feel good about "growing" spiritually, all while our lives are devoid of real fruit. (Please know that I am not speaking specifically about anyone, but rather in general terms. My comments reflect how my life was and how the lives of many of the Christians I have known during my life have been).

If you look at some of the polling numbers, it is quite amazing how little Christians actually share the gospel with unbelievers (and I mean really share the gospel, not just mention that they go to church or believe in God). That is shocking when Jesus tells us to go into all the world preaching the gospel.

Following Jesus means to walk as he did. That means we are to love others sacrificially. But, in our culture, where churches just keep getting bigger and bigger, and many Christian leaders have just bought into politics as the means to bring about Christian virtues, many believers are rejecting the traditional church model and want to get back to simply following Jesus. To actually care for widows and orphans, feed the hungry, visit the sick in prison, clothe the naked, seek justice, etc. --- and not just talk about it.

In my experience, that has been what those I have met in the emergent church have been about. They want to actually go out into the world and see people come into relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and they want to throw off anything that is not clearly a biblical mandate that would impede that in their efforts to do so.

As Steve Camp says in his song from my youth, we want to "run to the battle" not away from it. That means engaging people where they are (as Jesus did when dining with sinners), but certainly not at the cost of watering down the gospel or sacrificing our call to holiness in the process.

OK, enough soapbox preaching from me. Please know that my thoughts, while direct, are truly spoken in charity. As beleivers, let us never give up doing good nor spurring each other on to love and good deeds!

jenny said...

Hey Craig! Thanks for stopping by...I first read Miller because I DID want to know more about emergent. I've since been corrected that Miller is not officially "emergent" just often lumped with those who are. I am not an enemy to the emergent movement!!! I just don't think it's where our family fits into the kingdom (at this moment in time). I am truly impressed with some of the churches in this movement (Mars Hill) and definitely appreciate the call to social justice that seems to unite the entire movement.

I didn't like how Miller dissed on accountability groups in the excerpt I read from Blue Like Jazz. I also find potty humor not real helpful to me on my spiritual journey. That was pretty much the extent of my critique...I did mention a lot of quotes I liked btw.

Amen to some of the problems you pointed out about evangelicalism...even if I'm not "emergent," I agree with you and don't think only the emergent church shares these concerns.

Anonymous said...

Jenny:

I definitely can appreciate what you say about Donald Miller's "potty mouth." I think he sometimes tries too hard to be a little edgy, and it is often gratuitous. I do not recall what he said about accounability groups in Blue Like Jazz. To be honest, I liked that book the least of all of his books. Personally, I thought that "Searching for God Knows What" and "To Own a Dragon" were much better.

As for non-emergent churches sharing the social justice views I mention, I certainly hope that continues. I think with Rick Warren's heart being touched about both adoption and AIDS, social justice issues will become more pressing for "mainstream" churches.

It never ceases to amaze me how many churches will have huge campaigns for building a new building and yet never mention adoption or orphans in their services. How can that be?!!!! It sadly reminds me of the wonderful Keith Green song, "Asleep in the Light."

Speaking of musicians, go get the new David Crowder Band CD (Remedy)! It is wonderful, as are all of their CDs. As a new Christian I was challenged by Keith Green, Steve Camp, and Rich Mullins, and I see David Crowder Band filling that role today. Great stuff!!! (although the music is more eclectic than any of those other musicians, the lyrics are powerful).

jenny said...

Craig:
Thanks for the recommendation...I will definitely check out David Crowder. These days I don't buy much new music as we're trying to cut corners as much as possible so I can stay home with the kids.

I actually still have the casette (remember those) of Keith Green's that has Asleep in the Light on it...thanks for making me dig it out.