Saturday, January 5, 2008

Christmas at Mama's house

Mama was so excited to let the grandkids eat at the "good table" this year. She has always loved setting a special table. I love having people over but the fascination with china and settings has not worn off on me yet (maybe a little...special days are definitely worthy of such effort). I still have vivid memories of walking around months before getting married with my mother amazed that I could not choose a pattern. I just felt like if I didn't know what I wanted, why make a choice you later wouldn't use. 10 years later, I am happy to say I have inherited my Mom's china from when she first got married (which I love that sentimental connection but don't actually use much for fear of the kids breaking it) and she got new china--now we are both very happy. Here is a picture of Christmas dinner...my Uncle Todd and Aunt Judy walked in just before we sat down so we were happy to pull up a few more chairs. I love that about my Mom's side of the family--they are an informal but fiercely loyal and fiercely loving kind of family. I would like to think I have inherited some of those genes.
Isaac on Christmas morning...we definitely do the jammy thing so excuse our messy hair (actually, though, he has issues with that at all times of the day so no excuses necessary).
Cole drew this picture of Mama's house. It was from an aerial perspective which I thought was quite cool. The black lines are the roof shingles...if you see it up close underneath them is a detailed drawing of the tree and presents. Most of the picture is concerned with the layout of her yard. He is such a little cartographer.
Maddie loved helping set the plates. You can definitely tell who is the mom and who is the grandma by who was worried about breaking plates...my how time changes things!
Aunt Bebe spoiled everybody way too much and more importantly helped nurse us through some high fevers. Her loving touch...curling up with the sick one for hours on end...was definitely a healing touch!
Cole and Dad got to go hiking in the woods...had to try out his new hiking boots. I was so proud of Tom for taking the camera and taking this picture. Now, who's rubbing off on who?
Flaming fever boy would not be kept from Christmas festivities. He is enthralled with his new books/dvd's called "Natural Killers" put out by National Geographic (and given to him by his Aunt Bebe). I always have to help explain his answer to friends when he tells them his favorite books/movies are natural killers.
Maddie loves her doll and was excited to get some cooking things this Christmas.







Now, I'm sure you all really cared what our kids got for Christmas...aren't you glad I shared? But I really did want to share these with the family and friends I know would care and especially for my sis Amy and bro-n-law Steve who couldn't be with us due to some really scary health issues (which thank the Lord are getting a little better). We missed seeing them but were glad we got a few moments to see them on our way out of town.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Enjoyed seeing all these Cmas pics...two great groups of folks...I well remember and love your Mom's beautiful china..go Mrs. Coleman!!
And I would definately say you have well inherited fierce loyalty and loving...very lovely characteristics!!
I'm loving Winner's...thanks!