Friday, January 25, 2008

happy (belated!) birthday to my best friend



You're my Best Friend by Don Williams

You placed gold on my finger
You brought love like I've never known
You gave life to our children
And to me, a reason to go on.

Chorus: You're my bread when I'm hungry
You're my shelter from troubled winds
You're my anchor in life's ocean
But most of all, you're my best friend

When I need hope and inspiration
You're always strong when I'm tired and weak
I could search this whole world over
You'd still be everything that I need.

This post only makes sense if you know Don Williams and if you know Tom. When we first married I was a mild Don Williams fan but over the years of getting into vehicles and finding these very old cassettes (remember those?) playing after Tom was driving them, they have come to mean so much more to me. Just a few weeks back, I got into the van for a late night run to the store and found this song playing. It's so simple--but that's the beauty of the old country ballads--and I couldn't imagine a more fitting song to sing right now. So, I drove to the store with tears in my eyes and a renewed love and respect for the "Rev. Williams".

Celebrating at Red Robin with Dad after he got home.

Go here to register for a free burger there on your b-day!

7 comments:

Vonnie said...

Awwww, Happy Birthday Tom. Very nice!

laura k said...

So sweet. Happy Birthday Tom!

...and can you believe I have never heard of Don Williams?!

Kimberly said...

Great song...great story...Happy Birthday Tom! (Sometimes nothing but a Don Williams tape will do!)

Lenita said...

A Very Happy Belated Birthday to Tom...so good to see him when he was in HS. How are you Jenny?
love to hear back from you!!
God bless your beautiful family!

julie f said...

Happy Birthday, dear brother!

You are an amazing man of God and we are privileged to call you family! Wish we could celebrate with you...it looks like you had a fun evening. Aren't kids the best to help celebrate anything?

We send lots of love to "silly" Uncle Tom!

Hope to talk to you soon!

A happy birthday to you...a happy birthday to you...may you feel Jesus near every day of the year... (sung in our best M. Horne voice)

Marty said...

I had to comment on this post!! Oh how I love the "Reverand"!!! Love the song. Alot of things have changed since college, but the Reverand and the "Apostle" Paul remain true music to my ears!

Loy Mershimer said...

I tried to post earlier but something happened on the browser...

Happy Birthday, Tom!

And thank you Jenny for a touching post... if Tom is still listening to troubadour Don after all these years, then you must be raising him right! :-)

God bless you all,

Loy